SMS Backup was always one of the first applications I had to install on my device if I had to wipe it clean. SMS Backup is released under the Apache License, Version 2.0 and developed by Christoph Studer. Development has pretty much been stale on this application for the past year.
- XOAuth support – Uses XOAuth to authenticate with Gmail, instead of you supplying your username and password
- Faster – Does not base64 encode the emails before transferring
- IMAP support – Doesn’t just work with Gmail (but defaults to Gmail), it works with any IMAP server
- Restore – You can transfer sms messages back from email to the device.
- MMS Not Yet Supported, but planned
This is one of the applications I like to place in the Ron Popeil category, because you can “set it, and forget it”.
You can install from the Android Market for free: